- Penne Noodles – 12 – 16 oz
- Jumbo Frozen Shrimp, deveined with shell off – 1 lb
- Butter – 1 stick
- tomatoes, diced – 2 cups
- Baby Spinach – 3 cups, optional
- Small Lemon – 1/2
- Red Pepper Flakes – 2 tbsp
- Crushed Basil – 1 tbsp
- Milk – 1/2 cup
- Minced Garlic – 4 tbsp
- Shrimp. Defrost frozen shrimp, rinse and drain.
- Wash and dice the tomatoes and cut the lemon in half. Keep cool until it’s time to use.
- Penne. Bring 4 – 6 quarts of water to a boil. Add penne noodles and a dash of salt. Cook until al dente. Drain when done and set aside. Reserve ¼ cup pasta water.
- Sauté. Melt 1/3 stick of butter on medium heat in a skillet. Add the crushed basil, the red pepper flakes, and half of the minced garlic. Next, add shrimp and cook for 2 – 3 minutes, flipping shrimp half way through. Let shrimp pink up and squeeze the lemon juice on top. Plate shrimp and place to the side. Keep juices in the pan.
- Sauce. Add the remaining butter, the pasta water, the remaining garlic and the milk to the pan. Bring to a simmer.
- Pour in the penne and the shrimp that were set aside along with the tomatoes. Fold ingredients to coat in the sauce.
Place over bed of spinach so as to enjoy without wilted spinach leaves
For a thicker, more creamy sauce, increase ingredients proportionately, use a milk with high fat content and add some flour or use heavy cream.
*Disclaimer: I was intrigued by a dish I found on Delish. The original recipe is here. This is my take with a few substitutions.